Here is how we did it this time:
|A plate was screwed through the gudgeon holes. The big hole is hollowed|
out to accommodate the large bolt head.
|This is how it looked all assembled. A second plate|
was screwed to the first plate--you can see the rest.
Here is how I would do it next time:
I would make both plates longer so both top and bottom gudgeon holes were used. (Instead of just one set) I would use long #10 machine screws instead of wood screws. I would also center the large bolt (pivot point) between the top and bottom gudgeon holes.
What we did this time worked pretty well. I was able to lift and roll the boat by myself. But this would have been a better way to do the whole thing. (If you want a PDF of this drawing, email me: firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Of course you have to postpone painting the transom until the boat is back up on the trailer. But that turned out to be pretty easy to do.
I did try rolling and tipping the transom, but with all the practice I had spraying, I wasn't happy with the roll and tip so I sanded it down and sprayed the last two coats on the transom.
When the boat is back in the water, I will turn all of these posts into a page.