|First it came apart. Then it was glued back together.|
|Then a hole was cut in the deck.|
|The chute was glued into the deck and ridge built up; then the whole thing|
was faired in.
|Then a roller furler was added for the jib to make things|
|Of course we needed a spinnaker sock. Ours was made by|
Shurr Sails in Pensacola. We modified it twice.
|Of course if you are going to have a chute, there will need|
to be a retrieval patch on the spinnaker--back to Shurr
Then you need to practice (a lot) because a spinnaker is a fussy kind of sail.
|We ended up sailing over the spinnaker before this mess was straightened|
And after all of that. We did 14 consecutive hoists and sets that were darn near perfect. So finally we got to use the spinnaker in a race--and yet it ended up drying in the shop....another little disaster...
.....because there is always just one more thing.
|The little ring on the snap shackle hung up on the roller|
furler. Which of course opened the shackle.
So our near perfect hoist went straight in the water.
Oh, and one more thing. The shackle stayed at the top of the mast. Not to worry. A hook taped to a stick taped to a boat hook retrieved the shackle without dropping the mast.
So now we only have three races left. My crew who worked on this all year long is gone for the season. Oh well--new (different) shackle--and we will try to do better next year.