(I couldn't leave the mast hinge two or three degrees off line so I removed the top plug and hinge. Then ran a string from the bow to the center of the transom. Then I reinstalled the plug with the hinge parallel to the centerline string. Expoxy held the assembly in place while I went to West Marine and picked up some #12 SS screws. When the expoxy set, the screws secured the plug in place. That's the method I would use if I had to do this again. It doen't matter how careful you are in the shop--final fitting has to happen on the boat.)
Started by re-installing the turning blocks that came with mast--the one we bought down in Vancouver, WA. Finally, after 50 years of buying tools, picked up a pop rivet gun from Home Depot. Twenty bucks well spent.
|While we were at it we reinstalled the boom vang|
Then we drilled some holes in the king post brace to allow the halyards thru the deck and down to the turning blocks. Picked up some fancy bushings but they were too big so we will just chamfer and polish the wood to minimize the damage to the line.
Finally we installed some cleats and a winch on the cap of the centerboard trunk. The halyards will pass under the pedestal for the snubbing winch and into cam cleats. We will tension the halyards with a small winch and then tie them off on regular cleats. When we add the spinnaker's running rigging, the cleats will go under the thwart.
|We will need to do something new with the center-|
board lifting mechanism, but I haven't figured that out
Next item: Finish the upgrade on the traveler--when Fisheries Supply sends us the special little shackles we need. And we have an idea to secure the locking tensioners for the shrouds. Still waiting for the new Genoa. No painting this year--we still have some deck installations to do including fabricating our own spinnaker launching chute.