Today the rough shape of the tiller was cut out of the glue up with the band saw. Then I couldn't help it. I just kept going. The hardest part of this job is fairing in the long gentle curves of the 44-inch stick of wood. It could be a straight stick like the C-Lark, but I wanted to stay with Tanzer's elegant deisgn.
I found out that a 1/16" slat of poplar wrapped in 60 grit sandpaper made a great flexible sanding block. It conformed to the curves and evened out the tooling from the band saw,spindle sander, planes, and belt sander. I spent about an hour making sure that the tiller fit the rudder head connection exactly--no slop.
|It took a lot of tools to get the rough shape down to the line.|
The poplar sanding block worked well for the final fairing. I finished up the bottom side, then
spiled off the top side and sanded down close to the line. After that, I planed, then sanded some more.
The final shape was created with a router round over bit and a lot of sanding with 60, 120, 150,
The final shape was a little thicker than the original and a little less elegant, but I like to add
a little for "stout." The original tiller will be the spare stored in the forward compartment.
|Six more coats of spar varnish and it will be ready to race.|