Friday, February 5, 2016

Tanzer 16 -- Lifting the boat and flipping it-- part 1

Tanzer 16 -- Lifting the boat part 1-- February 5, 2016  Bryan Mrachek in Boca Raton, FL, lifted his boat using two engine hoists.  This allowed him to flip it over.  I don't have two engine hoists, and fretted about how to lift the boat by myself.  Stripped naked, no mast, no boom, no centerboard, no rudder, no nothin, it weighs in at a hefty 425 lbs. Finally I just got a couple of 2 x 8's and put up some posts.  Thusly:

Crude but simpole.  Just $32.00 in new lumber.  All of it screwed together
with three-inch deck screws.



















The beam, a 2 x 8, sits in a pocket on top of a 2 x 4 post.



































The diagonals reduce the unsupported span to just five feet.
My son, the civil engineer, said it should be two 2 x 10's nailed
together--yeah if I was going to live on top of it--I think this is
plenty stout to hold up one end of a 425-pound boat.  Hope
I'm right.

The whole this is pretty stiff, but some feet were added so it wouldn't
slide for and aft.


















The lifting tackle is on order from Amazon--cheap pulleys.  Now--question--is it just for lifting or is it the start of a crude little spray booth.  Poor Miata will have to live outside for a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment