Monday, May 11, 2015

Tanzer 16 -- Two boats/Two Trailers Switch

Tanzer 16 -- Two boats/Two Trailers Switch  --May 11, 2015  -- The extra boat went away today, but first I had to change the boats on the trailers. Two boats, two trailers and the boat launch is nine miles away. Too much hassle, and I have a shop full of stuff so thought I would try and switch them in the driveway.

First I used some steel sawhorses and made a cradle to fit the aft section right by the transom.  I just cut a 2x4 on the bandsaw.  It looked like this:





























Then I had to make a run to the lumberyard to get a couple of 4x4's. I got treated so I could use them for fence posts later.  Then  with a saw horse on each side, I just picked up the front of each boat and let the boat rest on the 4x4.  (A 2x4 didn't seem sturdy enough.)  The empty hull weighs about 400 pounds so this was a bit of a struggle, but manageable.

















Then in was just a matter of sliding the trailers out and putting them under the new boats.  It did look a little odd for a few minutes.

















Once the trailers were back under the correct boats, there was some roller and bunk adjusting to be done. The galvanized trailer is so heavy that I put a jack underneath.






















This boat trailer with the boat and winch tower is so heavy that I may not be able to pull it up the driveway's slight incline.  But!  I already have a trailer hitch on the riding lawn mower so that could work.

Finally the new boat # 1313 went to its new home on the old trailer.  Dave says he will give it a good home and get it sailing again.  He got the extra mast stored in the covered bridge.  So now I just need to get rid of the odd mast that came with the boat.  Anybody want a free mast?


No comments:

Post a Comment