Monday, May 25, 2015

Tanzer 16 -- Spinnaker Launching Tube--crazy idea!

Tanzer 16 -- Spinnaker Launching Tube--crazy idea! -- May 25, 2015  If you want to see a person's least rational self, just get them around boats.

I have been wanting to put a spinnaker launching tube in my boat for almost a year.  I have put off painting he deck until I can find one. No luck!  Nicely installed, it would look like this example from Brian Mrachek.

Isn't that just the slickest paint job you have ever seen?  He sprayed it]
in his garage.


















So here is my new idea.  If I could find a beater boat--one that could not be rehabbed--I would buy it. It would have to be non-salvageable because I don't believe in letting these fine old boat go to the dump.  BUT.  If I could find such a boat, I would fly (or get in the RV and drive if the distance is reasonable--say under a 1000 miles) to wherever it is with my recip saw and a few other tools.  I would remove the tube and other parts. I could sell the centerboard, the rudder, the trailer, the gudgeons and pintles, the deck tracks and blocks, etc--even the mast if I could get the boat home.

I got the idea by looking at this boat in Apex (I forgot which state).  It's not the beater I need, but it sparked the idea.














So anyway, that is today's crazy idea.  I probably won't do it, but maybe--I have done crazier stuff.

I will tell you about our last race as soon as my pride heals a bit more.
jim

No comments:

Post a Comment