Monday, September 23, 2013

Motor Mount Finished-- Well Almost Finished--Monday, September 23, 2013 -- Picked up the plate Patrick fabricated for me, and it didn't fit--my fault.  I should have taken him the template or done a better drawing.  He used my drawing to locate the outside of the holes instead of the center--clearly my drawing did not indicate that well enough.

Oh well, cut the plate in half, added a spacer piece and put it back together--it works and nobody will notice except me.  I say almost finished because I want to clear coat the wood spacer, add a safety line and then test the motor to see if it is deep enough in the water, at the right angle, and make sure it doesn't foul the traveler or main sheets.  There is also the issue of how the extra 40 lbs will affect performance and how far forward we will need to move the helmsman to get everything back in balance.

If it affects perfomance too much, it will stay home on race days.

But--given the frequent days with light winds around here in the summer, an engine would be nice.  We could do all four races and still get back to the launch before dark. 

The Tohatsu is a nice little engine, but 4-strokes are kind of heavy for the power.  We'll see.



















Today's Cliche' to Live By (platitudes with attitude)

At 20:  "What do people think of me?"  At 40:  "I don't care what people think of me."  At 60:  "People have never been thinking about me at all."

No comments:

Post a Comment