Saturday, April 23, 2016

Tanzer 16 Mast Raising -- another approach

Tanzer 16 Mast Raising -- another approach -- April 23, 2016  Received an email and picture from Karl Price, 1305 in Port Orchard, Washington, US. He has come up with a simple aid to raise the mast.  You still need a little muscle, but the mast is always under control (you don't risk poking a hole in the forward tank), and it is a lot less work to create than my hinged approach.

 Here is his email and a picture.  

As to the mast raising,... It’s a straight walk the mast up kinda thing but what I found was there was nowhere to start. The foot of the mast was flailing under the foredeck and I had no way to anchor it while I walked the mast upright. My solution was to add a piece of ash from the keelson to the stinger that runs under the foredeck. It’s as think as the keelson is wide and has a curve cut into it that somewhat flows down to the keelson. Now I have something to brace the foot of the mast against as I walk it up. The higher I get the mast, the foot begins to slide down the curve and plops right onto the keelson. This is done with the shroud’s in place and the jib sheet running forward for fore and aft support until I get the forestay attached.


The attached photo shows the uncurved prototype piece I used to test the theory and I can say that it works pretty well.

When we get a picture of Karl's final installation,
I will add a page just for this method.

No comments:

Post a Comment