Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Telltales on the Tanzer 16

Telltales on the Tanzer 16  -- March 14, 2014 -- A rare day off, so got the work bench and surrounding areas cleaned to make room for attaching telltales to the sails.  I think I once knew a lot about telltales*, but now all I can remember is "ease the sails till the windward tales flutter then gently sheet it, and keep all the yarn on the leech flying."  Even a cursory reading shows that there is a lot more information about sail shape that can be gathered by these simple pieces of yarn.  Bottom line seems to be, keep them all flying; it will be a long time before managing sail twist is second nature.  Most of our race legs aren't long enough for lots of experimenting.

This might be the original main and genoa--wonder how much a new main would cost?

 (*Of course 30 years ago, I thought I knew a lot more about everything.)

Many good articles online about correct placement of the yarn.




No comments:

Post a Comment