Monday, May 20, 2013



Screw a bunch of instructions –May 20, 2013 – Normally I am a big believer in following instructions.  I figure the manufacturer wants you to have success with their product so they give you good advice.  But today I just couldn’t do it.  The morning was cool, but dry—less than 50% humidity.  No wind.  It should warm up later.

The paint instructions indicate that Perfection (2-part polyurethane) should be brushed or rolled. Spraying is contraindicated.  Screw it, I sprayed it anyway.  There would never be a better day and I have a super repiratator.  It turned out pretty well. 

If you stand in exactly the right place, the paint job looks perfect.  If you stand in exactly the wrong place, the paint job looks like a really good coat of paint on the only wooden C-Lark ever built. 
I don’t love it, or even like it, but I can live with it.  The topsides look not so swell, but that didn’t happen on my watch.  So we will rub it out and get on with getting this little guy back in the water.  

The progression:  Barnacle glue all over the bottom.  Somebody applied bottom paint and left the boat in the water for a very long time.  Sanding off the glue, most of the bottom paint and some of the gel coat.  Then primer.  The first blotchy coat of finish applied with a brush.  Then a lot of sanding and the sprayed final coat with flattening agent.



No comments:

Post a Comment